Customer service charter
The Department of Environment Regulation (DER) advises on and implements strategies for a healthy environment for all Western Australians and has statutory responsibility for delivering the environmental regulatory functions associated with:
- works approvals and licences;
- environmental compliance;
- native vegetation clearing;
- noise regulation;
- contaminated sites; and
- environmental enforcement.
DER is also responsible for advising on and implementing the State Government's environmental policies and programs, including those which enable enhanced and coordinated waste management.
Our aim is to foster positive and mutually respectful relationships and to ensure our services are cognisant of and responsive to our customers' needs within the context of the Department's purpose.
The Department's activities benefit all Western Australians. Our customers include individuals, businesses, industry groups and other government agencies with whom we work.
We endeavour to work in accordance with the Department's REFIRE values 400 KB, which require staff to be responsive, enabling, focused, innovative, responsible and effective in the course of their duties.
Our service standards
DER is committed to the continuous improvement of our operations, and our customer service standards coupled with our corporate values provide the foundation for us to achieve this objective.
We aim to:
- provide you with the most accurate, up-to-date information available;
- answer your questions as clearly as possible in a respectful way;
- answer your phone calls promptly during normal office hours;
- consult widely when developing policy to make sure that the views of all stakeholders are considered;
- provide reasonable time for receiving comments on proposals; and
- ensure our actions are fair and transparent, completed within the specified timeframes and take situation-specific needs into consideration.
Our commitment and target timeframes
In delivering these standards, we will endeavour to:
- respond to telephone messages and acknowledge receipt of emails by close of business on the same or following business day;
- acknowledge receipt of correspondence (email and/or letter) within three business days;
- reply to general correspondence within 10 business days of receipt or, if we cannot answer within that time, send you an acknowledgment advising when you can expect a reply;
- respond to general complaints within 10 business days;
- provide monthly updates on the progress of licence applications where appropriate;
- provide monthly updates on the status of general complaints and follow-up investigations where appropriate;
- provide monthly updates on contentious and or significant contaminated sites at the direction of the Director General; and
- acknowledge and rectify our errors.
In the context of our specific regulatory timeframes, the Department will endeavour to meet the following targets:
- 100 per cent of works approval and licence applications for major projects decided within 60 working days;
- 80 per cent of works approval and licence applications for other projects decided within 60 working days;
- 80 per cent of licence amendments decided in 60 working days;
- 80 per cent of native vegetation clearing permit applications decided within 60 calendar days and 100 per cent within 90 calendar days;
- classification of contaminated sites within 45 calendar days of receipt of the report;
- applications for new controlled waste carrier, vehicle and driver licences assessed within 30 calendar days; and
- mandatory auditor reports processed within 21 calendar days.
For further information please see the Department's regulatory performance reports.
How you can help
You can help us assist you by:
- providing sufficient, accurate and timely information;
- giving us constructive feedback on our service provision69.3 KB; and by
- treating our staff courteously.
Feedback and monitoring of our service standards
DER welcomes constructive feedback69.3 KB on its service delivery and on the performance of our officers so that we can continually improve the services we provide to you.
The Department regularly reviews and measures services against published standards.
We recognise the importance of protecting the privacy and the rights of individuals in relation to their personal information.
Phone 08 6467 5000
Monday to Friday (9am to 5pm)
Department of Environment Regulation
Locked Bag 33
PERTH WA 6850